Nobody likes having an unwanted guest in their New River Valley home, and that includes ants. These pests can cause countless problems and become a huge nuisance for homeowners, but that doesn’t mean you should let them get you down. Here’s how local residents in the New River Valley can identify the type of ant plaguing their home, the problems these ants may cause, how to get rid of them, and what you can do to naturally prevent them with the help of pest control in the New River Valley.
How To Identify The Type Of Ant Infesting Your New River Valley Home
You may not realize it, but you’ve probably encountered several different types of ants in the New River Valley. For Southwest Virginia residents, the most common types of ants you may find in your home include:
- Odorous house ants: The name of this ant species tells you almost everything you need to know about it. This small species not only loves to invade homes in search of sweets or protein, but when you crush them, their bodies emit an odor that may smell similar to rotten coconut.
- Little black ants: Little black ants are even smaller than house ants, and while they usually prefer to nest outside and under rocks, they may make their way inside your home if they think they’ll have an opportunity to get food.
- Pavement ants: As their name suggests, pavement ants prefer to build their nests and colonies in cement or the cracks of pavement. Their colonies may start in your driveway or patio, but they won’t hesitate to head into your home in search of crumbs.
- Carpenter ants: Carpenter ants are probably the most destructive ant you could find in your home, and they’re also one of the largest. These ants like to build their nests by tunneling into wood, leading to structural damage.
How To Get Rid Of Ants In The New River Valley & Keep Them Away
Most DIY treatments won’t stand up to ants as effectively as homeowners need them to, but there is one foolproof way for getting rid of ants. You can keep your New River Valley home pest-free by working with All Pest Control & Solutions.
With high-quality treatments that will eliminate your ant problem and keep these pests from coming back, we are the trusted choice for homeowners in the New River Valley and Southwest Virginia. If you see ants around your home, the problem will only worsen without treatment. Call us today at All Pest Control & Solutions to learn more about our ant control services or to request your free inspection.
Natural Ant Prevention Tips For New River Valley Properties
Ants tend to show up in homes for a reason, and while you may need professional pest control to combat them, there are some natural ways to prevent them from coming back, such as:
- Don’t leave leftovers sitting out, and keep your food products in sealed packages or airtight containers when you’re not using them.
- Make sure you thoroughly clean any surfaces where you prepare food or eat it to prevent crumbs.
- Seal your indoor and outdoor trash cans with a lid, and make sure you regularly empty out the cans.
- Use caulk or foam to block off any cracks and crevices around your home, which may make it easy for ants to slip inside.
These tips can help deter ants, but if they do make it past your defenses, don’t hesitate to call the experts at All Pest Control & Solutions.