What Do Cockroaches Look Like?
There are several species of cockroaches in the Eustis area, including the German cockroach, American cockroach, and the smoky brown cockroach. All cockroaches have similar characteristics, including:
- They range in color from light tan to black.
- They have six legs and a pair of antennae.
- They have oval-shaped, flat bodies.
- They have wings that lay flat on their backs.
How You’ll Know If Your Eustis Home Has An Infestation
While it is helpful to know the general description of cockroaches, there are signs that you may have an infestation that you could notice far before seeing an actual cockroach. The following indicators are cause for concern.
- You See Droppings: Cockroaches are known for leaving their droppings wherever they go, but particularly like areas like cabinet tops, underneath refrigerators and stoves, and floor corners. While the size of droppings differs based on cockroach type, they can range from pepper-like specks to the size of a grain of rice.
- Your Neighbors Have Cockroaches: While Eustis neighbors are friendly and sharing, one thing you don’t want from them is a cockroach infestation. If the people next door mention they have a cockroach problem, it increases your chances that your home is already infested or will be soon. Taking steps to reduce the risk of developing an infestation is critical to ensuring your home remains pest-free.
- You See Egg Casings: Egg casings are hollow, long, and typically light brown and hold between 20-50 eggs each. Once these eggs hatch, the casings are left behind. If you find casings in food cabinets, around the base of your refrigerator, or near leaky pipes, you need to take immediate action before the infestation worsens.
- You Smell A Musky Odor: If your home develops an unpleasant odor that is strong enough for you to notice, there is a high possibility that you have a cockroach infestation. If the infestation is allowed to continue growing, the smell will continue to get stronger.
- You See A Cockroach: Unfortunately if you see one cockroach, there are likely more that you haven’t seen. Cockroaches are nocturnal, so you’re more likely to spot them at night, especially if you enter a room and turn on the light. If you see them during the day, this is a sign that there is becoming a cockroach overcrowing that forces them out into the open.
Dangers Of Cockroaches In The Home
Regardless of the type of cockroach, all cockroaches pose a potential threat to Eustis homeowners. They pose problems due to the seven parasitic worms, eight human pathogens, and 33 different bacteria that they carry and spread throughout homes. They pick up these unwanted bacterias through garbage, sewage, and dead and decaying organisms. Some of the most common diseases cockroaches can spread include cholera, E. Coli, salmonella, typhoid fever, and gastroenteritis. Their shed skin, urine, and fecal matter spread throughout homes can also trigger allergic reactions or asthma attacks. Ultimately, cockroaches are dangerous and not good to have around your house. Because of the many diseases cockroaches carry and the health risks they pose, prevention is vital for all Eustis homeowners.
The Best Method Of Cockroach Removal Is With Pest Ref Services
Cockroaches aren’t safe to have in your Eustis home, so taking prevention steps on your own is vital. However, the best and safest way to remove cockroaches and prevent further infestations is to work with the experts at Pest Ref Services. Our technicians can handle any cockroach infestation and keep these germ-filled pests out. Give the team at Pest Ref Services a call today to obtain your free quote and receive the home pest control you deserve.