How Bad Is It To Have Rodents In My Eustis Home?
November 13, 2020 - Rodents
Rodents are small animals that create big problems. From property damage to health hazards, mice and rats are some of the most dangerous pests around. The best way to protect your home is to learn what problems rodents can cause and how you can be alerted to early signs of a rodent infestation.
What Are The Most Common Rodents?
The two most common home-invading rodents are mice and rats, which can both cause nightmare scenarios for homeowners. Rodents are driven inside in search of food, water, and shelter, often sticking to out-of-reach and out-of-sight parts of a structure. It can be hard to catch a good enough glimpse of a rodent to determine what kind it is which is an important first step in eliminating the problem. Here are some ways you can tell rats from mice:
- Size: Mice are generally much smaller than rats. While rats can grow up to a foot in length, mice are typically only a few inches in body length. Their long tails add some overall length, however.
- Ears: Mice have perfectly circular, large ears that sit on their heads right above their faces. Rats have pinched ears that rest further back on their head.
- Droppings: Since you aren’t likely to spot rodents themselves, analyzing the feces they leave behind is often the best way to identify an infestation. Mice have small, raisin-like feces while rat droppings are larger and often curled in shape.
How Damaging Are Rodents?
Rodents are some of the most damaging pests to a property. Many homeowners have had to learn the hard way just how many problems come from a rodent infestation and what they may leave behind:
- Biting: Rodents have teeth that never stop growing, meaning they must file them down by biting on hard surfaces. This behavior results in damage to common household materials like leather, wood, and electrical wiring,
- Scratching: Rodents claw their way through walls and will dig or burrow where they can. Not only can this result in scratches, but it can also lead to holes in walls and floorboards.
- Stains: Rodent urine and feces can leave stains on walls, carpeting, and furniture, not to mention the smell.
What Are The Dangers Of Rodent Infestations?
Mice and rats aren’t just damaging to your property, they are harmful to your health. In addition to the destruction they cause, rodents can contribute to the following dangers, too:
- Disease: Rodents are some of the most well-documented carriers of disease in human history. They are directly connected to the spread of rabies, plague, and salmonella.
- Fleas And Ticks: Even if a mice or rat isn’t infected with dangerous diseases, it may carry parasites that also contribute to illness.
- Odor: Not only can foul smells permeate your home, but the very presence of rodent droppings can also make people sick. Bad smells are actually bacteria that hang in the air, so the unpleasant aromas are more than just an irritation.
What’s The Best Way To Protect From Rodents?
Too often, people try to eliminate pest populations on their own, thinking they’ll save money and time. Unfortunately, home-brewed solutions or store-bought products applied by amateurs can really just make the problem worse. The best way to keep your home protected from mice and rats is to partner with your local pest experts.
At Pest Ref Services, our friendly staff can provide you with advice and assistance on how to keep your home rodent-free. We can get started right away on an inspection, providing peace of mind that no pests are hanging around or by helping you to identify existing problems. If anything is found, you can rely on our safe, effective methods to eliminate the infestation. Don’t let rodents cause damage and destruction in your household, turn to Pest Ref Services right away for rodent control options you can rely on!
Pest Ref was very professional when I sent a message regarding a quote. The quick response and timely scheduling made me a satisfied customer. Thank you, Pest Ref. A++