Eustis Homeowners' Complete Guide To Effective Cockroach Control
August 15, 2022 - Cockroaches
When you know cockroaches are in your house, you walk in fear to the bathroom at night, hoping you will not step on one of those filthy pests. The thought of sharing your home with cockroaches is unsettling.
If you have cockroaches in your Eustis home, it is time to get the Eustis pest control services of Pest Ref Services. Our highly trained experts will eliminate the cockroaches from your home so you can relax and enjoy your home.
How To Identify A Cockroach
Nearly 70 of the 4,500 cockroach species live in the United States. The following are the descriptions of the types of cockroaches found in Florida:
- American Cockroaches: These flying reddish-brown cockroaches have a figure-eight pattern on their heads. They are typically in the basement area of homes, but they also congregate in bathrooms, kitchens, and the laundry room.
- German Cockroaches: These six-legged light brown cockroaches have two dark stripes on their back. German cockroaches need to be near food and moisture sources and prefer areas where the temperature is between 70℉ and 80℉. Although they typically inhabit bathrooms, you can also find German cockroaches in living rooms, bedrooms, and dens.
- Oriental Cockroaches: Sometimes known as "waterbugs," oriental cockroaches have a dark reddish-brown to a black, shiny body. They prefer living in sewers, but they will enter homes through drains in the summer. Once inside a house, they live in the damp, cool areas found in basements and crawl spaces.
- Brown-Banded Cockroaches: Brown-banded cockroaches are so-named because of the pair of light brown bands across their dark brown body. Unlike the American and German cockroaches, these smaller cockroach species prefer hot and dry areas. They live in bathrooms, kitchen cabinets, electrical outlets, refrigerator motors, and behind picture frames.
- Florida Wood Cockroach: Also known as a "palmetto bug," this peridomestic cockroach lives in the outdoor storage area, but it occasionally invades the home via firewood. The reddish-brown to black Florida wood cockroach is about one to two inches long. Because it cannot fly and moves slowly, it utilizes a stink method to ward off predators; thus earning it the moniker of "stink cockroach."
- Smokybrown Cockroach: Although you are not likely to have a smokybrown cockroach in your Eustis home, they are prevalent in Florida. This flying, glossy, dark-brown cockroach prefers moist, wooded areas, but it does enter homes where it typically lives in kitchens and bathrooms.
Why It's Dangerous To Have Roaches In The House
Cockroaches live in unsanitary sewers and drains; as a result, the spines on their legs and body pick up bacteria, viruses, and worms. As the cockroaches walk across kitchen and bathroom counters and inside cabinets, the pathogens fall onto the surfaces contaminating them. In addition to the pathogens shedding from their bodies, defecation from cockroaches triggers asthma attacks and allergic reactions in some children.
How To Remove Factors That Attract Cockroaches
If you wonder how do I get rid of cockroaches, you need to understand that the factors that attract cockroaches are food, moisture, and shelter. To remove the food attractions, regularly do the following:
- Clean the pantry, kitchen, and laundry areas.
- Store the food in air-tight containers.
- Keep the garbage cans sealed.
- Remove uneaten pet food from bowls each night.
To deter cockroaches, reduce moisture attractions by performing the following actions:
- Fix leaky pipes.
- Ensure drains are unclogged.
- Provide ventilation to the basement area to prevent high moisture.
To discourage cockroaches from sheltering in your Eustis house, be sure to do the following:
- Seal cracks in the home.
- Add or replace door sweeps.
If you find a cockroach in your house, implementing these ideas will reduce and control the cockroach population in your home.
The Best Way To Get Rid Of Cockroaches In Your Home
Although you can take steps to protect against a future infestation, eliminating the cockroach problem begins with our team at Pest Ref Services. We will destroy cockroaches in your home by attacking their nests and eradicating their eggs. Contact us today so you can relax.
Just had Benjamin come out and do an initial pest service on our home. I highly recommend his business. He was on time, EXTREMELY thorough with every inch of our home and was professional and so affordable. I’m so glad I ran into him on facebook. If you’re looking to switch services, now is the time!