Eight No-Sweat Tips To Keep Cockroaches Out Of Your Eustis Home
August 14, 2020 - Cockroaches
Cockroaches are pests in Eustis that people often associated with germs, filth, and an unnatural ability to survive harsh conditions. While all of this is true, cockroaches aren’t completely indestructible. But they are extremely dangerous, disease-filled pests that are hard to remove.
While you’re likely aware that cockroaches can carry diseases, the extent of their ability to transmit illnesses to humans might not be on your radar. Cockroaches are some of the more dangerous household pests because they can carry pathogens that cause diseases such as:
- E. coli
- Typhoid fever
Along with being transmitters of these and other diseases, cockroaches can also cause allergic reactions and increase asthma symptoms. And they can contaminate any food or food-preparation surface they come in contact with.
What Do Cockroaches Look Like?
While there are several species of cockroaches in the Eustis area, including the American cockroach, German cockroach, and smoky brown cockroach, there are general characteristics that all of these species share. Here is what a cockroach looks like:
- They have flat, oval-shaped bodies.
- They have a pair of antennae and six legs.
- They often have an almost greasy sheen to their bodies.
- They can range in color from light tan to black.
- They have wings that lay flat on their backs.
Because of the many diseases cockroaches carry and the health risks they pose, prevention is important for all Eustis homeowners.
How To Keep Cockroaches Out
Since cockroaches are so difficult to eliminate once they've infested a house, taking steps to seal up your home is a great way to keep them away. Prevention is a much easier and safer method of home cockroach control than removal, so the first measures to take involve addressing areas around your home that cockroaches use to come indoors. Here are ways to seal up access points:
- Place weather stripping around doors and windows.
- Install door sweeps.
- Make sure that screens in your doors and windows are tightly fitted and don’t have rips.
- Fill up cracks in walls.
- Check the home’s foundation for any holes or crevices.
- Regularly clean drains as some cockroaches can enter a home through the plumbing.
- Ensure that windows and doors fit tightly within their frames.
- Work with pest control professionals to keep cockroaches out.
You can also take steps to make your home a less appealing place for cockroaches to live. Since cockroaches are drawn to moisture-filled areas with access to food sources, here are some things you can do to make your house less attractive and hospitable to cockroaches.
- Make sure that you have no leaky pipes or faucets.
- Sweep and vacuum often.
- Reduce excess moisture by using dehumidifiers.
- Learn what the pest control experts recommend.
The Most Effective Way To Keep Cockroaches Out
Cockroaches aren’t safe to have in your Eustis home, so taking prevention steps on your own is vital. However, the best and safest way to remove cockroaches, and to prevent further infestations, is to work with the experts at Pest Ref Services Inc. Our technicians can handle any cockroach infestation and keep these germ-filled pests out. Give us a call today to obtain your free quote.
Pest Ref was very professional when I sent a message regarding a quote. The quick response and timely scheduling made me a satisfied customer. Thank you, Pest Ref. A++