How To Get Rid Of Drywood Termites On Your Eustis Property
May 15, 2021 - Termites
The word "termite" conjures many negative associations for Eustis, FL, property owners. These creatures are known for their mass destruction to homes and businesses across the U.S.
Termites cause more than five billion dollars in damages each year, and most homeowners insurance companies refuse to cover termite-related costs in their policies. In most cases, due to their stealth and destructive behavior, termite infestations go unnoticed until much of the damage has already been done.
If you detect a drywood termite problem early enough, you still have time to prevent the worst of the damage. Protect your Eustis property from unwanted termites with the help of an experienced pest control technician.
Drywood Termite Identification And Behavior
Drywood termites are creamy-white to light brown in color. Their oval-shaped bodies are long and narrow, with six legs and two antennae. Reproductive drywood termites, often called "swarmers," also have wings. Drywood termites average between 3/8 to 1 inch in length.
While there are some similarities with other termites, drywood termite behavior includes survival tactics that other termite species do not possess.
Drywood termites do not require soil or high levels of moisture to survive. The wood they feed on and nest in provides them with enough moisture to get by without additional resources.
Without a need for soil and moisture, drywood termites don’t require soil contact with a structure in order to invade. Instead, they use small, preexisting holes to gain access to wood and form new colonies.
Termites never sleep. They are always working, eating, and multiplying. Eliminating termites requires immediate professional assistance.
Signs Of An Infestation
Drywood termites quietly infest any dry wood they can find. Some of the more common areas of infestation include structural wood, support beams, attic framing, wood trim, and wooden furniture.
Knowing what to look for and where to find it will help you determine your drywood termite status.
- Winged swarmers drop their wings when they are ready to start a new colony. Dropped wings can be found near walkways, doorways, and windowsills.
- Termite frass (excrement) is often mistaken for small piles of sawdust. Examine areas prone to infestation for frass.
- Prolonged termite damage leads to softwood that sounds hollow when tapped. Check exposed beams and other wooden items that might produce a hollow sound.
- Windows that stick or open and close freely can indicate a termite problem.
Be sure to routinely inspect your property for signs of an infestation. If you have discovered any of the above signs of termites on your Eustis property, Pest Ref Services has the smartest solutions for your termite problems.
Drywood Termite Prevention
Applying preventive precautions in and around your property will help deter future drywood termite invasions.
- Carefully examine wood furniture or building materials before you bring them inside.
- Store firewood and scrap wood at least 20 feet away from the foundation perimeter.
- Seal any cracks and crevices located around the foundation and exterior walls of your building.
- Inspect the property for signs of a drywood termite infestation on a regular basis. Pay special attention to problem areas such as windowsills, doorframes, trim, eaves, siding, and attics.
Termite Problems And Solutions
Property owners will have a hard time in their quest to eliminate termite infestations on their own. Drywood termite colonies are heavily populated and well hidden in remote locations of your structure’s interior. To complicate matters, it only takes one surviving termite worker to resurrect an exterminated colony.
Pest Ref Services will get the job done right the first time. We are a family-owned and -operated pest control company that delivers effective home pest treatments at affordable prices. Our environmentally conscious approach to pest management is safe and eco-friendly.
Pest Ref Services provides quality termite control service, lasting solutions, and a pest-free guarantee. Contact us today to schedule your free inspection! We offer emergency services and same-day service whenever possible.
Just had Benjamin come out and do an initial pest service on our home. I highly recommend his business. He was on time, EXTREMELY thorough with every inch of our home and was professional and so affordable. I’m so glad I ran into him on facebook. If you’re looking to switch services, now is the time!